Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hope

Where hope would otherwise become hopelessness, it becomes faith. -Robert Brault

Sunday morning was Colby's first trip to church... and nobody was happier to be going than his mommy! We decided to take Colby into church with us because it just so happens to be during his first nap time. He was snoozing away happily when we went in. We found a spot where we could easily escape if he didn't do well. But I was so happy that he was sleeping and I had so missed worship that I was ready! I wish I had my camera ready, because I will never be able to do justice to Colby's expression when the worship leader got up to do the welcome. Literally he was completely asleep, and as soon as the worship leader started talking (with a lot of excitement) Colby's eyes opened as big as saucers and he threw his arms in the air like a touchdown motion. Rick and I were laughing so hard! Needless to say, there was no more sleeping after that. He did just hang out though and we made it through the sermon thanks to Rick rocking and walking and taking him to change a diaper.

I share all of that to say that Sunday was the least focused I have ever been in church... but the time that my heart most purely worshiped with gratitude. For so many Sundays Rick and I sat in that church worshiping with really one desire in our hearts... and wondered if God would ever give us a yes. It was the church I belonged to when God taught me afresh that he loves me fiercely and calls me to hope and faith. Not faith that God will give me what I want or hope that he will say yes to my desire. Faith that my life will matter and have impact. Faith that because God is for me no one can stand against me. It turns out that God said yes to us and gave us sweet Colby. We are so grateful and LOVED having him in those seats with us as we worshiped. We pray that this church will also be the place he worships as he learns that his life matters and how to live life with bold faith. What a privilege I will have to get to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment